Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Remembered by Our Community

Remembered by Our Community
Card made using a newspaper photo, gold border stickers (Mrs. Grossman's), scrapbook paper background (K & Company, "Life's Journey"), Ranger "Glossy Accents", gold and silver stamp ink (Color Box). The candles represent our school community members.

I made this card in 2010 and just noticed that I had never published this post.  Time has passed and I am realizing the importance of remembering and acknowledging community members as well as being aware of possibility of making playing card sized memory cards.  Seems like these would make a discrete and meaningful shrine for survivors.  What follows is what I wrote about this card in 2010.

One year ago today Leigh was shot and killed by her husband in their home, during a domestic dispute, not far from where I live. She was the mom of two children at my son's charter school. I did not know Leigh personally but had seen her at community events and talked to her in passing. I recently ran across a newspaper clipping I had saved because I was saddened by this senseless loss of one of our charter school community members. Artist Cards can also become Memory Cards or shrines, acknowledging those who are missed. Remembering you today, Leigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment